- Choose a contractor based on their reputation and quality of work, rather than on lowest price.
- Visit sites built by the potential contractor to examine their quality.
- Ask owners living in homes built by the potential contractor about the extent to which the contractor complied with contracts and consultant instructions.
- Be sure to contract with a reliable consultancy firm.
- Draw a timeline outlining all phases of the project and the date of delivery in agreement with the contractor and the consultant.
- Inspect and review the contracts to be signed with the contractor, and seek legal counsel if necessary.
- Do not make any payments to the contractor without the consultant's approval.